This tutorial is targeted towards people who are new to blogspot. It explains how to install a blogger xml templates and provides solutions to the problems that may occur while installing a blogger template.
1. First you should backup your existing template so that in the worst case you can put your blog to its original condition by installing it again. Refer to how to backup the blogger XML Template in 2 steps. Once you backup your existing blogger template, you’re ready to install the new one.
2. Go to Layout > Edit HTML page on your blogger dashboard.
3. Now click on the browse button and select the blogger XML template from your computer, and click on Upload.
4. Click on the Save Template button.
In most cases, this is all you need to do to install a new blogger XML template.
However in some cases, you may see this kind of message after you upload the new blogger template,
This message is displayed when your existing template contains more widgets then the new template. There are two ways to complete the installation in this case,
Easier Method – Delete the Widgets
You allow the widgets to be deleted. Then after installing the new template, you create the widgets again from the blogger dashboard.
Harder Method – Keep Widgets While Installing New Blogger Template
1. Click on the cancel button and revert back to your old template.
2. Go to Layout > Edit HTML.
3. Find this code in the template,
and replace it with this code,
Click on Save Template.
4. Now go to Layout > Page Elements.
5. In the page elements section of dashboard, you’ll see a new blank section. Drag and Drop all the widgets that you want to save into this blank section and click on the Save button.
6. Again, go to Layout > Edit HTML and fine this code,
from this line copy everything upto,
You’ll have something like this,
some code here
some more code here
even more code here
7. Open your new blogger template in any text editor, like notepad. Find the line,
in the code and replace it with the code you copied in step 6 above. Save this template.
Now just install this new template as explained above. This time no message will be displayed since you already copied all the widgets from the old template to the new template. Once the new template is installed, go to Layout > Page Elements and rearrange the widgets by dragging them from the backup section to their appropriate places.
That’s it. Please let me know if you still have any issues related to installing XML templates on blogger blog.